Details surface on ex-Florida GOP chairman’s corruption charges

  • Share
  • Bookmark to Delicious
  • Bookmark to StumbleUpon
  • Comment on this story

The former executive director of the Florida Republican Party, Delmar Johnson, was president, secretary and treasurer of a phony company called Victory Strategies that was used to skim hundreds of thousands of dollars in political donations, and funnel them to himself and former state GOP chairman Jim Greer, according to newly-released documents.

The Miami Herald reported Saturday that Victory Strategies collected nearly $240,000 in nine months during 2009, before GOP finance officials began questioning Greer about the company in December 2009. During the same period, the company paid eleven checks to Greer totaling $164,101 and paid Johnson $65,093. At Jan. 31, 2010, the company’s bank account had a balance of about $10,000.

Greer, 47, was arrested in June for running a scam to steal money from the Florida GOP. He was charged with six counts of organized scheme to defraud, four counts of felony grand theft and one count of money laundering.

Greer owned 60 percent of Victory and Johnson owned the other 40 percent of the company. Authorities said that the company had no other business than to take a commission from political contributions to the Florida GOP and pay the amounts to Greer and Johnson.

Donors and major party activists had been critical of Greer after reports surfaced of lavish spending on parties, expensive dinners, luxury hotels and private jets.

  • expose this
  • Share
  • Bookmark to Delicious
  • Bookmark to StumbleUpon
Comment on this Article:

Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. You can also subscribe without commenting.